Next cohort starting February 21, 2022
International Trade Fundamentals Course.
In partnership with The University of Texas (El Paso – UTEP), this International Trade course is intended to provide a fundamental overview of international trade compliance for both import and export transactions. This is a great way to build a foundation towards understanding what it takes to import products, ship products globally, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection requirements.
This course is brought to you by Global Training Center (GTC) in partnership with UTEP. You will earn a certificate from both UTEP and GTC along with general continuing education credits.
Please note: This course is NOT intended to help individuals start an import/export business. This course covers rules and practical issues that arise from importing and exporting merchandise and not the marketing, sources, purchasing, or other business functions of starting a physical business or e-commerce store.
What is a hybrid course?
A hybrid course, also known as blended course, uses recorded materials to be viewed by students on their own time in combination with web-based online meetings with the instructor for discussions and Q&A.
How long is the course?
The International Trade course will run for 4 weeks starting on February 21. The plan for each week is as follows:
- Participants are responsible for viewing a short video (45-90 minutes) prior to Wednesday of that week.
- On Wednesday at 2 p.m. Central Time, participants will attend a 2-hour live webinar with the instructor to discuss the video (Step 1) and for Q&A.
- Participant will take the exam on the topics discussed.
- Steps 1-3 will be repeated for three more weeks (for a total of four weeks).
- Special university partnership pricing
- 1.8 general CEUs issued by the University
- Certificate of Completion from the University
- Certificate of Completion from GTC
- Trade Digital Badge from GTC
- 4-week Course
- Recorded videos (45-90 minutes)
- Weekly live webinar (2 hrs)
George W Thompson
Building Blocks of International Trade Course Agenda
2 p.m. to 4 p.m. (Central Time) – Webinar Wednesdays
Exam (own time)
Week 1 – Foundation of Trade Compliance
- Logistics/Modes of Transportation
- Service Providers
- Documents for International Transaction
- Harmonized Tariff
Week 2 – Importing to United States
- Entry of Merchandise
- Types of Entry
- Enforcement & Penalties
- Duties, taxes, & fees
Week 3 – Exporting to United States
- Export Order Process
- Export Controls
- Reporting the Export
Week 4 – General Trade Compliance
- Free Trade Agreements
- Country of Origin
- Risk Assessment
- Getting Paid
- Contracts & Dispute Resolution