Tariff Classification Workshop
Full Day Course
This tariff classification training is for importers and exporters. Tariff classification and valuation of goods must be done correctly for a successful international trade transaction.
Learn To Classify Products For Imports & Exports & More
Tariff Classification Course using HTSUS and Schedule B Classification for:
- FTA determination
- Clarification on Section 301 and Section 232
The classification & valuation of goods is major decisions! Critical information not only for duty purposes but also to determine whether goods are subject to quotas, restraints, embargoes, or other restrictions.
If you classify or value your products incorrectly, your shipment may not reach its destination, and/or you may be subjected to severe penalties. You will also learn how to determine whether goods are subject to quotas, restraints, embargoes or other restrictions. This tariff classification training course will give you the tools you need to properly classify your imported and exported goods. Schedule of class dates is listed on the right.
Tariff Classification Course Agenda
8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Seminar 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Central Time) – Webinar Reference book Doing Your Duty
I. THE HARMONIZED SYSTEM CONVENTION
- Introduction & History
- Harmonized Structure and Convention Obligations
- Legal Text of Harmonized System
- Heading and Subheading Provisions
- Rates of Duty
- Amendment, Maintenance & Dispute Settlement
II. OVERVIEW OF HARMONIZED TARIFF SCHEDULE OF U.S.
- HTSUS Structure
- Chapters 98 & 99
- Amendment and Maintenance
- HTSUS Table of Contents
- Section and Chapter Notes
- Tariff Page
- Abbreviations for Units of Quantity
- Conversion Tables for Measures and Weights
- Deciphering a Tariff Page
- General Notes
III. THE EXPORT SCHEDULE B
- What is the Schedule B?
- Similarities and Differences between Schedule B and Harmonized Tariff Schedule
- Has the freight forwarder filed EEI and reported the proper Schedule B code?
- Census Bureau Classification Assistance, and Finding the Schedule B
- Controlling the Reporting of the Schedule B on the EEI
- Using the Schedule B or the HTS
- Tariffs in Other Countries
IV. CLASSIFICATION PROCESS
- Steps in Classifying your Product
- The General Rules of Interpretation (GRIs)
- Additional U.S. Rules of Interpretation
- Classifications of Parts
V. EXTRINSIC INTERPRETIVE AIDS
- Explanatory Notes, CBP Rulings & Opinions
- Informed Compliance Documents, Dictionary, and Other Resources
VI. DUTY DETERMINATION
- Column 1 and Column 2 Duties
- Overview of FTA’s & Duty Preference Programs, and Paying Duties
VII. MECHANICS OF CLASSIFICATION
- Business Controls & Classification Process and Business Models for Classification
- Document the Classification Process
- HTS Database and Record Retention
- Who Should Classify?
- Classification Exercises
Two 15 min breaks & 1 hour lunch
Webinars: 8:30AM-4:00PM CT
Seminars: 8:30AM-4:00PM Local Time
|Anaheim, CA||Apr 19th|
|Atlanta, GA||Apr 25th|
|Houston, TX||May 17th|
|Boston, MA||Jun 15th|
|Charlotte, NC||Jun 21st|
You ask, we answer
If you have any other questions, we are here to help. Contact us!
What you will learn in the Customs Tariff Classification course:
- Structure of the HTS
- Difference between HTSUS and Schedule B
- Tariff classification of products for imports and exports
- General Rules of Interpretation (GRI)
- General Notes
- How to apply for and use U.S. Customs classification rulings
- Course includes classification exercises to practice what you learn!
Course Will Benefit
Exporters, Importers, Purchasing, Sales/Marketing, Logistics, Analysts, Traffic, Customer Service, Credit Managers, Controllers, Engineering, Legal, Customs Brokers, Freight Forwarders.
The course will especially benefit anyone involved with or responsible for:
- Qualifying goods under NAFTA/USMCA
- International Documentation
- Compliance Rules and Regulations
This Customs tariff classification class is excellent for beginners and also serves as a refresher for experienced professionals. The instructor will level set the course based on attendees.
NO SALES, NO GIMMICKS, JUST LEARNING!
* Small Class Size – Time for discussions / Q&A
* Live INTERACTIVE We encourage class participation! You may ask questions throughout the session.
* Book included in price – Great reference to keep at your desk!
* Earn continued education credits (approved for NCBFAA & NASBITE)
* Best in-class Instructors, with real-world experience, which means they can relate to your issues
You can read about our cancellation policy and transferring here
Read everything you need to know about education credits here
Become One of Our Hundreds of Happy Customers!
We love receiving feedback from our clients! This way we can stay on top of our service and provide you with the knowledge you need to succeed in the industry.
Regulatory Affairs Manager
“Instructor was evidently very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about classification. I feel much more confident in my ability to classify after attending this course. ”
Trade Compliance Analyst
Awesome instructor! He made the class enjoyable. Love his music, too! I took this class because a coworker loved the instructor! Edge of seat excitement and learning!"
Global Trade Compliance Specialis
“The tailoring of a few minutes of the course specifically to my industry was not expected, but greatly appreciated. I gained numerous classification resources and tips from John throughout the training. Even the practice problems that were outside of my typical scope (sets, kits, machinery) were useful exercises. Excellent course – will be back!